Saturday, July 23, 2011

New things to know (and some reminders)

ATTENTION ANALOG PHOTOGRAPHERS:
The darkroom at New Visions is up and running (finally) it has been a year in the making (2 locations and 2 darkrooms completely built from the ground up, lots and lots of research, being afraid to mix the chemicals in fear they would go to waste) and I made my very first print in there a few days ago

Luckily, there are lots and lots of weeds growing along the railroad next to New Visions. I had a fun time picking out what shapes would go well together in my photogram. Fun fact:
[A photogram is a photographic image made without a camera by placing objects directly onto the surface of a photo-sensitive material such as photographic paper and then exposing it to light. The result is a negative shadow image varying in tone, depending on the transparency of the objects used. Areas of the paper that have received no light appear white; those exposed through transparent or semi-transparent objects appear grey. Artistic cameraless photography, as the technique producing photograms is usually known, is perhaps most prominently associated with Man Ray and his exploration of rayographs. Others who have experimented with the technique include László Moholy-Nagy, Christian Schad (who called them "Schadographs"), Imogen Cunningham and even Pablo Picasso. Varieties of the technique have also been used for scientific and other purposes.]
Today (Saturday the 23rd) I made the image on the right into a positive photogram. Sorry I forgot to snap a photo of it, but it looks great! I have many many rolls of black and white film waiting to get developed so that will be my goal on Tuesday. Join me won't you?




 Sign-up for our summer photo classes have come and gone. I would like to be in the darkroom oight now spreading the love of B/W, but we didn't have any sign-ups. However, people can sign up for access to use the darkroom on their own (1-day, 1-week and 1-month rates available) and you can also sign up for personal or group lessons

In honor or opening our darkroom to the public, we have a brand new line of "Defend the Darkroom" t-shirts, totes, change purses and bumper stickers for sale! All made with love by Ariel Kessler http://www.arielkessler.com  http://www.etsy.com/shop/ArielKessler
Show your support for classic process in photography by picking yours up today!




 Better come in and get yours soon because if not I might buy them all myself :p


Rust and Patina, 1 more week! 
If you haven't made it in yet to see Rust and Patina, by metal assemblage artist Eli Marsh, do yourself a favor and get in soon! It will by on view until this Friday, July 29th. Eli has never shown his complete collection before, so you might not get the chance to see it again in its entirety. Luckily, he does regular craft shows so his work isn't going in storage just yet. I think he'll be showing and selling his work for a long time.
Speaking of selling, all but 1 or the pieces in this exhibit are for sale! Ranging from $95- $1,000 there is something for everyone in this show. One-of-a-kind pieces scream "buy me" and "you'll never see anything like me again" Help make Eli and us some $$ because the universe knows we need it 

We're on yet another website! 
Because I know you haven't quite had enough of us, we're on Yelp! 
New Visions on Yelp!
Yelp! is an awesome website for people to review any kind of business they've been to. Ever been to a terrible restaurant you wish you read a review on? Make Yelp! your first search before Google to read reviews. Have you recently been to New Visions? Please take a moment to write us a review so others can see how awesome we are and come see us. We always appreciate feedback from our visitors and we're here to serve our local art community. Let us know any suggestions or comments you have to help us improve your experience.


I think that's all for today. My posts are unfortunately far and few in between because sometimes my juices just arn't moving. On this hot hot day, I feel rather sluggish and am impressed I got this amount of information out all at once. Stay cool, drink ice water and swim in your pool (oh, and invite me over to swim too!) Happy weekend
 

No comments:

Post a Comment